Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Guides and Inspirations for our Classical Homeschool



I don't know that I would ever have thought that I could homeschool if I hadn't found The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. This is the book that got me started and the one I refer to every single year when I plan out our year. I used to attempt to do everything suggested, but I have since gotten over that need. This is my "homeschooling bible".


The Latin-Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell is another of my favorites. I love to refer back to this book when I forget why I'm doing this.  There is a lot of information about a true classical education and the reasons for striving for this type of education. The format is nothing like TWTM - it doesn't follow a four year cycle, but it has some great ideas and curriculum suggestions. I tend to try to blend suggestions from both books for our school plans. This book is available at Memoria Press as well amazon.com.


Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons is a great resource on classical education and is quoted extensively in The Latin-Centered Curriculum. If you want to learn the history of classicial education and some well researched reasons for following it, this is a great resource. This book is available at Memoria Press as well as amazon.com



Norms & Nobility by David Hicks is another great resource on classical education. This book tends to deal more with high school education rather than applying classical education to elementary age students. This book is available at amazon.com

I have also used Ambleside Online for book lists when my kids were younger. Ambleside is Charlotte Mason inspired, but is quite useful for schedules and book suggestions.  I think that Charlotte Mason and classical homeschooling work very well together, especially in the younger years.


The Baldwin Online Children's Literature Project is a wonderful resource for classic children's literature. I have used so many of their books over the years, especially for children's versions of greek and roman stories. I highly recommend this site.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks so much for writing this and for linking up to Trivium Tuesdays! Would you believe that I haven't read any of those books...not even TWTM!?! I did just get it from the library, though, so I'll be reading it soon. I'll have to see if my library has any of those other books too! I agree that Charlotte Mason and Classical homeschooling go very well together for the little ones. I look forward to reading more from your blog and hope that you can link up again next week! Amy from Living and Learning at Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy TWTM. I borrowed it from the library and then had to buy my own copy. I have two editions and both are filled with tabs, highlights, notes, etc.

      Delete
  2. Another great book is Teaching the Trivium. I am linking up from Trivium Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by from Trivium Tuesdays. I have Teaching the Trivium as well. I have used it as a reference.

      Delete